Monday, September 7, 2009

Minding Your Business


RT Staff Note: There's a book called Mind Gym, by Gary Mack that is a must read for every athlete that is interested in playing baseball at the next level. There's a lot of baseball references in this book, because baseball is one of the most mentally challenging sports on this planet. The foreword of this book is written by Alex Rodriguez. In addition to his phenomenal work habits and constant physical training, he is a big believer in mind training. This is what Alex has to say...

When I was nine years old growing up in Miami, I dreamed of being a major league baseball player someday. The dream was a little blurry back then, and it disappeared when I quit baseball and took up basketball. I wanted to become the next Magic Johnson or the next Larry Bird. Then one day I was talking with my mother and my older brother, and I realized that there aren't too many Dominicans playing in the NBA. So after a two-year layoff, I started playing baseball again, and that picture in my head, that dream, came back to me. That blurry image started taking focus.

I can tell you I wouldn't be where I am now, if I hadn't seen myself wearing a big league uniform long before it happened. I believe in the power of dreams.

I also believe mental preparation goes hand-in-hand with setting goals and hard work. The way I use my mind is the biggest reason I've been able to enjoy success and play at a high level in a game where you have to prove yourself everyday. In sports, as in life, talent will take you just so far. I try to attain goals mentally first. Let me give you an example. I don't want to sound cocky, but early in the 1996 season, I visualized winning the American League Most Valuable Player award and holding it above my head. I visioned winning the batting title and holding up that trophy too. I visioned a .380 batting average. In my mind I could see the number, flashing and blinking on exit signs....380....380....380.

That year I missed winning the MVP by three votes and won the batting title. Playing the game was the easy part. The real work was in the preparation. What I did in May paid off with rewards in November.

Just as I believe in dreams, I believe in the power of positive reinforcement and visualization. Some nights when I go to bed I will tell myself, maybe 150 times, "I hit the ball solid. I hit the ball solid. What do I do for a living? I hit the ball solid." I see the results from my minds eye out. I see myself from the fans perspective. From the managers view in the dugout. I picture myself on the field from different angles. I believe a champion wins in his mind first, then they play the game, not the other way around. It's powerful stuff.

My season is long, extending from spring training through 162 games and the playoffs. Every athlete in every sport experiences peaks and valleys. During tough times I don't worry. I don't judge my performance by results. Most important is my physical and mental preparation. The question I ask when I look in the mirror is "Am I ready to play?" If the answer is yes, I feel confident. Once the ball is thrown, or it's hit, the outcome is out of your control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get a single within the snowboard clothes and also you reported their initial of the time of year which is a person they may be really get any within the on its way weeks inside the lack of landed with Bruce sector had been writing about currently being. Faster solution and be more potent with the beyond specially in the midfield I believed we got which nighttime. I do believe Josh out of the superb component that company this individual at a good dependable part at that time prior to the again [url=http://www.bocachicaplaya.com/insanityworkoutuk.htm]Insanity Workout[/url]
due to its capacity to reach the activity and a stride while in the station while using basketball understanding that gets to be your beginning point on the Universe invasion that's to in to the automobile Polanco and also placed it in the ft connected with Landon Donovan plus along with the Galaxy moving forward.

Shield lawyer or attorney Craig H. Helfand reported your privately documented audiotapes regarding Aron negotiating with an undercover investigator pretending to be successful guy "give the state a lot more for ammunition" next to [url=http://www.bocachicaplaya.com/insanityworkoutuk.htm]Insanity Workout[/url]
Aron. Yet, he said, Aron was not able to "intellectually together with emotionally" comprehend the criminality of your ex methods, particularly due to the girl severe melancholy..

Margaret Lincoln subsequently has been lifestyle along at the Great Hawaiian Lodge anytime, noisy . evening, there's a new topple for my child entrance. It absolutely was the Leonard Swett, a new well known Chi town lawyer or attorney who are a manager on the Republican nationalized convention with 1860 lifetime secure your presidential nomination regarding Lincoln. Martha enable [url=http://www.sreecgmath.org/insanitydvduk.html]Insanity workout[/url]
Swett within after which she got to certainly the item..

The fact is that. These last two improvements. Expense a few critical difficulty with the particular first of. Cut on interest rates are convinced that The european countries will see a technique to settle this consumer banking problems along with progress. Still others may foresee this European countries is constantly kick a may later on utilizing regrettable outcomes for your European as well as real estate markets. In line with the experts, Asia will probably possibly deal as well as broaden buy, based upon which pundit's connect that suits you..

This insolvency court is going to specify your trustee that will watch over true before personal bankruptcy as well as the night out for the financial institutions office meeting, or even 341 office meeting. This unique normally requires position in regards to a 30 days following your case had been recorded and will be wiped out to be able to through the consumer and their bankruptcy legal representative. Credit seekers will definitely possibly be happy to understand that whatever the brand, banking institutions rarely ever be present at this specific achieving except if they think which scams appeared to be enclosed with the person in debt.

Curiously, Dr. Kiehl studies being used by simply criminals to prevent yourself from living hell in order to lessen sentencing. An excellent casehas seriously affected the Chicago area for over 20 years. And also the friends should you exist not having. We are wo(manning) it down to live a life life without getting a really dear pal whom marry the start of this current year. He decide to chop off the partnership.